The Three Borders
The Three Borders Landmark is an attraction that has over 400 years of history. The complex’s architecture refers to the Jesuit reductions, and all the area follows this theme. Right at the entrance, in the reception center, the visitor goes through a portal that creates the ideal climate of a time travel. Inside, near the box office, there is a small gallery with replicas of the movie The Mission, produced in 1986 and starring Robert de Niro. The film portrays the formation, persecution and destruction of the Jesuit Missions between 1750 and 1756. Having this exhibition as a receptionist, the Three Borders Landmark invites the visitor to dive into the sighting of the Iguassu Falls by the first white man, the Spaniard Alvar Nunes Cabeza de Vaca, in 1542. Just to the right side of the first square, after the reception center, there is a small cinema, which quickly tells this story.
A few more steps and we are already crossing a portico, which takes us to the Landmark Square (Praça do Marco), where is located the green and yellow stone obelisk, built in 1903. At nightfall, surrounded by a fountain, the South America’s most famous border landmark lights up with colorful lights. By walking a little further, we can see the meeting of the Iguaçu River with the Paraná River. At this same point we can observe Argentina and Paraguay, completing the Three Borders.
From Tuesday to Sunday, there are two cultural performances. The first one starts at 7:30 pm and consists of a traditional dance called Minueto and takes place in the first square. Then, at 8 pm, heading to Praça do Marco, begins the Show of the Three Borders, which presents several dances from Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay, ending with a staging of the Legend of the Falls.
With a complete infrastructure, the Three Borders Landmark has a souvenir shop, playground, restrooms, a cultural maze, snack bars, and the Cabeza de Vaca restaurant.