The Iguassu National Park on the Argentine side has an area of 670 km2. It is a protected area that has a wide variety of fauna and flora species. The jaguar, the third largest feline in the world, is one of the animals that inhabit the place. The tree flora consists of more than 90 species.
The history of the National Park on the Brazilian side and the Argentine side is connected to the Spaniard Alvar Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca, who, in 1542, was traveling to the city of Asunción (Paraguay), when faced with the grandeur of the Iguazu Falls, at the time baptized by him “Santa Maria Falls”. He was the first European in the region, where at the time the Guarani Indigenous lived. In Argentina, in 1902, the Ministry of the Interior asked architect Carlos Thays for a detailed writing of the Falls, which was later taken as the basis for the law of creation of the National Park. On October 9, 1934, the Iguazú National Park was created by Law no. 12,103, with the purpose of conserving the Iguazú Falls, one of the most important natural phenomena in the world, as well as the biodiversity of the place. Among the endangered species that inhabit the Park there are the jaguar, the tapir, the ocelot, the Moorish cat, the giant anteater and the yellow-throated alligator.
This is one of the reasons why the preservation of the Iguassu National Park is so important: biodiversity, balance of plant and animal species and a nature sanctuary!